Dr. Thomas Henderson
Dr. Henderson has served Austin’s vision care needs for 30 years. He founded the Eye Clinic of Austin in 1982 and remains involved in patient care, research and teaching.
- As an eye surgeon, Dr. Henderson has performed over 11,000 LASIK and cataract procedures. He is skilled in alternative vision correction technologies such as ICL, premium cataract surgery and lens replacement, corneal transplant surgery and surgical treatment of glaucoma and pterygium.
- For patients not suited for LASIK, Dr. Henderson regularly recommends and provides alternate vision care for the majority of those patients.
- Eye Clinic of Austin, unlike LASIK centers that perform ‘only LASIK’, can and does provide full vision care to ensure that you receive the correct treatment for your unique pair of eyes.
- Dr. Henderson’s commitment and experience has earned him a reputation for the pursuit of excellence and for providing satisfaction beyond his patients’ expectations.
- Since 1996 Dr. Henderson has annually been awarded the honor of being one of the Best Doctors of America® (only about 5% of doctors in the US are named in any given year).
- As featured in Texas Monthly magazine, Doctor Henderson was awarded Texas Super Doctor in 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011 and most recently in 2012. The selection process includes peer nominations from Texas doctors based on who they would trust to provide their own medical care. Only five percent of Texas doctors receive this honor each year.
- Dr. Henderson trained at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. He has served as Chief of Staff for HealthSouth Surgical Hospital (now Northwest Hills Surgical Hospital) as well as Chief of Ophthalmology at St. David’s Medical Center.
- Dr. Henderson is a member of the major national ophthalmology societies including the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, and the American College of Eye Surgeons.
Dr. Clayton Falknor
Dr. Falknor joined the Eye Clinic of Austin in 2010 as a fellowship-trained ophthalmologist. Dr. Falknor was certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology in 2011.
- Born in Houston, Texas, Dr. Falknor graduated with honors from the University of Texas at Austin in 1999 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemical Engineering. He worked for semiconductor producer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) in Austin before entering the medical profession in 2001.
- In 2005 he earned his Medical Doctorate from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas. He completed an internship in internal medicine at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas in 2006. He then returned to UT Southwestern where he completed their highly regarded residency in ophthalmology in 2009. In the following year he completed a sub-specialty fellowship in cornea, external disease and refractive surgery at the renowned Duke University Eye Center in Durham, North Carolina.
- In addition to providing the most up-to-date comprehensive eye care, Dr. Falknor has significant experience and clinical interest in corneal transplantation, including the newer partial thickness transplants (DSAEK and DALK), complex cataract surgery, presbyopic lens implantation (including ReSTOR™ and Crystalens™ implants), and astigmatism correction (toric lens implants, AK, LRI).
- He specializes in the treatment of keratoconus, including implantation of Intacs™ corneal ring segments. He also specializes in the most up-to-date techniques in refractive surgery, including LASIK, IntraLASIK and PRK.
- Dr. Falknor is a member of the major national ophthalmology societies, including the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, and has presented research at their annual meetings. Dr. Falknor now brings his world-class training to Austin and Central Texas.
Dr. Melanie Prosise
Melanie Prosise, O.D. in Austin joined Thomas Henderson, M.D. in Austin at the Eye Clinic of Austin in 2002. She has experience in a wide variety of eye care settings, including internships at the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, the Thomas Lynch Pediatric Unit in Philadelphia, and the Jamaica Plain Veterans Administration Hospital in Boston.
- Born in Petersburg, Virginia, Dr. Prosise graduated with Bachelor in Science degree in Biology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1996.
- Dr. Prosise earned her Doctorate of Optometry from the Pennsylvania College of Optometry in 2001. She received Honors for Clinical Excellence in Low Vision for her work at the Feinbloom Vision Rehabilitation Center.
- She is Texas Board Certified as a Therapeutic Optometrist and as an Optometric Glaucoma Specialist. She has an interest, as well as significant experience, in caring for patients after cataract and refractive surgery.
- She provides excellence in contact lens fitting, including soft and gas permeable contacts, specialty lenses for Astigmatism, bifocals and Keratoconus, as well as cosmetic and post-surgical lenses.
- Dr. Prosise is a member of the Texas Optometry Association, the American Optometry Association and the Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmology.